Non Claustrophic MRI
Some people are nervous about having an MRI, you may hear people talk about MRI and claustrophobia – but not all of this is true. At Greater Waterbury Imaging Center we now have a 1.5T Optima 450W MRI non-claustrophobic scanner that not only holds patients up to 450 pounds but has wider openings and offers the opportunity to enter the scanner feet first.
In order to help alleviate your claustrophobia and make you more comfortable, we provide the following:
- You will be given earplugs to help block out the noise from the scanner
- For some MRI exams, you do not need to have your head inside the scanner. For example, MRI of the knee,foot and leg – only your leg will be in the scanner.
- The scanners are open at both ends, ventilated and well lit.
- Our MRI board certified technologists will work with you to help ease your anxiety. They will keep you informed every step of the way regarding how long the test will take and what to expect.
- During the MRI scan the technologist will be able to watch and communicate with you via speakers inside the MRI. If at anytime you want to stop the scan or talk to the technologist you just squeeze the call button (which is given to you at the start of the exam) and the Technologist will come right in and take you out.
- Greater Waterbury Imaging Center offers Propeller, which is a type of ‘motion correction’ imaging that allows for a faster examination, with less repeat images